This page is about me, if you want to read about my blog please visit About My Blog.
I was born in the Netherlands but have lived the last 18 years in Romania, Russia and Hungary. Most of these years I lived in Romania where I also stayed from November 1985 until July 1986. All in all I have spent close to 15 years in Romania. Since 2002 I am president and CEO of Raiffeisen Bank Romania, one of the largest banks in the country.
Like most people, I like to be successful at what I am doing, while maintaining a reasonable balance in life. All of my professional life I have worked in banking. The constant factors in my private life are my family, sports and photography.
I am married to Valeria Racila, Olympic Champion in the single sculls (rowing) in 1984 at the Los Angeles Olympic Games. I am a former Olympian myself, also a rower but not as successful as my wife. I did participate in 2 world championships and the 1984 Olympic Games. And in case you wondered, yes, that is how we met.
Besides being CEO of a large bank, I am part of both local and international communities. I have also friends that are professionals or that own small companies. I pay regular visits to branches and clients all over the country and also like to visit different parts of the country in my spare time. I speak the language. All of this gives me a quite multi faceted perspective of the country and that helps to shape my views.
So, international, banking and sport are three important dimensions in my life, but geographically speaking I am zooming in on Romania.
Besides being the president and CEO of Raiffeisen Bank Romania I am involved in several organizations and initiatives, including:
- Romanian Banking Association, Vice-President (since 2004)
- Aspen Institute Romania, Founding Member, Member of the Board (since 2010)
- Foreign Investors Council, Vice-President (2010) and President of the Board, (since 2011)
- United Way of Romania, President, Vice President, Member of the Board (2004-2010)
- Friends of the National Museum of Art of Romania, Member of the Board (2002-2008)
- „Restore the Beauty” Fund raising initiative for the MNAR in 2008
- Patron, Hospice Casa Sperantei Bucharest fundraising.
- Advisory Board Member, Maastricht School of Management, Bucharest
For the reasons why I decided to start a blog, please visit the About My Blog page.